Mobdrops! We want them changed!

Guest · 553

Poll

How should mobs drop their loot?

Like normal as they drop on death without player interaction.
6 (35.3%)
Only drop the loot when the mobs have been killed by the player.
11 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Midnight_Blaze

on: September 16, 2017, 02:48:12 PM
Just a poll to be fair.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:57:51 PM by Midnight_Blaze »

Offline pokota

• Colt/Filly
  • Probably Building Below You
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Username:
    Minecraft Icon raekuul
  • Steam Username:
    Steam Icon raekuul
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 05:54:52 PM
unless you're trying to get gunpowder from creepers I don't see the problem?

Code: [Select]
elif name == "gary":
print("We are all Gary here.\n")

Offline Zeckal Bloom

• Administrator
  • Starswirl Level Pone
  • Forever Blank
    • Skype Status Icon
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Username:
    Minecraft Icon Zeckalin
  • Steam Username:
    Steam Icon Zeckal
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 06:59:45 PM
http://www.squarehorse.com/forums/index.php?topic=2301.0

http://www.squarehorse.com/forums/index.php?topic=2150.0

1. To stop people being able to farm iron and gold.

You can still farm iron and gold just fine, you just have to pay attention to your grinder

2. To not lag the server.

The crowding damage fixes the server stability issues that can be caused by building up a large population in one place by these grinders, but that is a different issue than mob drops.
It is also still possible to cause the server problems if the mobs aren't being funneled into a small enough area, or if they are escaping into the local area.

3. To not break the economy on the server

People sell mob drops often enough to keep the server shop signs from emptying out
The server shops are also designed now to prevent mass item sales from causing economy problems

So at the end of this is their ANY reason why normal mobs drops when they die from non player interaction be off? Not really.

Because we don't want our sever to be a background cookie-clicker task that you sit afk in. I (as the single person that is a staffer, not as staff as a whole) try to design stuff for the server that players interact with, and thus make you active on the server. I don't like it when someone is afk just to make some silly iron/gold stockpile.

Literally all I'm asking is for you to punch the mobs in your grinder once, is that so much to ask?

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:44:18 PM by Zeckal Bloom »

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q578/Raynock/AppleShake4_zpsa2ce3aa0.gif
~Haven~ "Remember, when you play jenga with jockey, you play jenga with uptime"

Offline Sweetie Belle

• Starswirl Level Pone
  • Cutest Marshmallow
    • Skype Status Icon
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Username:
    Minecraft Icon Samarra_
  • Steam Username:
    Steam Icon Bolvangr
  • Discord:
    Discord Icon Bolvangr
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 02:44:46 AM
As the server's formerly most prolific mob farm builder I can definitely say I have never had an issue with mobs requiring player damage to drop loot. I used a variety of easy to implement methods such as precisely calculated drops, lava blades, timed piston crushers, poison and damage splash potions, etc. This also provides the benefit of allowing you to switch to a looting sword for the kill to get several times the loot plus more rare loot for the same number of mobs/afk time. You also get exp which is what most of my farms were for anyways, back when you needed 30 levels every time.

Probably the trickiest mob to do was iron golems since they take no fall damage and can't drown. A piston crusher will work but due to their high hp it takes a while. I went with a 15 block long lava blade where they were pushed through by a water stream below. They went into a collection chamber at about 1/2 to 1 hearts and were easy to kill with a splash damage potion, though nowadays I'd just use a looting sword for extra iron.

tl;dr: The server not dropping loot from mobs killed by environmental damage does not hinder mob farming other than preventing you from completely afking cheap stuff like rotten flesh and bones, which are effectively worthless anyways due to the sheer quantity around the server by now.

EDIT: What kind of pigman farm are you even talking about? Mojang removed portal farms and building in the nether is a bad idea since it regens. Also if you kill them manually you have a chance of getting a gold ingot which substantially increases your gold generation anyways.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:47:51 AM by Sweetie Belle »

Offline Kimono

• Starswirl Level Pone
  • Lantern Butt
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Username:
    Minecraft Icon Leo_Valdez
  • Discord:
    Discord Icon Kimono#6845
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 06:16:59 PM
I have a small issue with this. The mobs I attack also tend to be blown up by creepers that sneak up on me. This would cause me to not get the loot when I've tried to damage the mob. If that makes sense.

"And the lantern said, let there be light. And some dude flipped a really really big switch while complaining that the lantern people should look a little to the left in the sky and realize lanterns can't speak" -The1000Suns, July 19th, 2017.

Offline Sweetie Belle

• Starswirl Level Pone
  • Cutest Marshmallow
    • Skype Status Icon
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Username:
    Minecraft Icon Samarra_
  • Steam Username:
    Steam Icon Bolvangr
  • Discord:
    Discord Icon Bolvangr
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:22:38 PM
If you damaged a mob recently before it died you should still get the drops.

Offline TheHolyAsdf

• Starswirl Level Pone
  • Edgy TryHard
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Username:
    Minecraft Icon TheHolyAsdf
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 05:09:50 PM
I have a small issue with this. The mobs I attack also tend to be blown up by creepers that sneak up on me. This would cause me to not get the loot when I've tried to damage the mob. If that makes sense.

I present to you a man who has a solution: